Saturday, March 1, 2008

Blog changes and Theives in the night.

I've changed the title of this blog to Lois Louise.

I read a post on another bloggers page about private and public blogs, and it got me thinking and wondering about whether it is really a good idea to have a public blog if you are posting personal information.
I know my teenage daughter has a site that her and her friends go on, and on a few occaisions I have seen a few things she is putting on it, and I think to myself, That is something that anyone in the world can view at any time. I wish she would have more discretion.

I am not a private person, and I dont really mind who reads what I write, and anyone I know at this point who reads my blog are what I would consider my blogger friends. So it really isn't about who reads the blog, more about what comes up when certain words are googled, by people that are not bloggers. I googled my name and the name of my blog, and I decided that I needed to change a few things.

I have changed the name of my blog, and deleted a few posts, The name of my town was in my title and I have noticed that people looking for information on our city would end up at my blog.
The only trouble is, I cant change the url address of my blog????. Do I have to delete this blog and start again, is there another way? Any help out there? And if the address is changed, does it mean all those who have my old URL will get redirected?

I googled the name after I had made the changes, and posts that I had deleted still came up in the search. EEWW

I remember I went to a seminar regarding keeping kids safe on the net held by my daughters school. The person speaking said 'once on the net, always on the net' Am I finding out that this is true?

In the future I will try to find more of a balance in sharing my life, but not leaving myself open to whoever is out there that would seek to use what they find for ill. Not easy for me. I am too trusting, and am just a 'wear my heart on my sleeve' kind of person.

I am probably a little edgy, because the other morning I went out to my truck and soemone had gone through it. The registration and other papers were strewn all over. It is a sinking feeling knowing that someone who has no concern for your boundaries has been in your own personal space. The only thing that is missing is a Timmies card, so who ever did it will have a coffee and donut on me I guess.

My room is ready for painting, doors are installed, the stained glass panels are in the transom. Pictures soon.

2 comments:

WeekendFarmer said...

lovely photos....

on your question - you could start a new blog with a new url and only let people you are comfortable with letting them know that you have moved. You could also do like Bob and have a "login" required set-up.

I wish we could change our urls and keep the old blog alive (in the event we need to) ...not sure how thats done.

Rosie said...

lois, I've changed your blog name on my side bar links to the new one. If you look in the help button on dashboard and then at privacy it tells you about permissions where you can select the people you want to view your blog. I'm not sure about how you change your url or even if you can - the only way may be as 'weekendfarmer' says to make a new blog with a new url and then let everyone you want to read it know and then set up the permissions on it.

Sorry to hear about your nightime visitor - that sort of thing does make you feel edgy - I felt it when we had our garden chairs taken a few years ago. Take care.