It was very much a fall day today, drizzle with grey skies. Today was 'visit' day for my foster babies. I am sure that the birthmoms look forward to these days, but for me they are always a little emotional. I end up feeling like the day looked; grey, with a little drizzle.Each Monday and Thursday I wind up this road to an old Indian Residential School, that was closed in 1984, and later became the offices of the Aboriginal Ministry for Children and Families.

I drop one baby off for a two hour visit, and feel considerably lighter with only the other one in tow. I usually have a coffee from Tim Hortons, and do some grocery shopping.Then I pick the first one up; Mom is happy today. She always likes to change her baby into a new outfit during the visit, so I make sure I put one in the baby bag for her to do that.

Then I go back home, spend a few hours tidying up, and then it is off to drop baby #2 off for her visit. This visit always makes me feel a little blue. Mom and dad love their baby, but life is hard for them. I always make sure I dress this one really cute, and make her smell real good.
My job is hard work. I must take two very heavy car seats out of a two door toyota 4runner 8 times a day by the time I have done all my errands taken my daughter to school etc. I sometimes feel tied down, like the other day when I wanted to go into a new clothing store that I found, but couldn't because I had the 'babies'. Sometimes our friends who are empty nesters call and ask us to come out for a drink, or a motocycle ride, and mostly we have to say no these days.I have to say that I do this as a job, and the money is good, but there is more to it than that. I cant describe the feeling that I have when I bring the babies to their parents for a visit. I'm honoured that they are the parents, but I am doing the parenting. I feel humbled that I have a job that I believe is the most important job in the world, and I have it over the natural parents. Sometimes the moms will say things like, "her socks are too tight,". "She doesn't like this nipple". I know that it is their way of saying this is my baby, you have her, but she's mine.
In my heart, I say,"I know shes yours dear. I will love her, and believe it or not, I am even growing to love you, so I dont mind if you are a little defensive towards me". Most of the moms I have known were once babies in foster care themselves. They are doing the best they know how at the moment, and I am blessed to let them know that I dont judge them.
This has been a heavy post, but like I said Mondays and Thursdays are heavy days for me. Tuesdays coming, and I'm going to kick back, and have some fun. Not sure how I am going to accomplish that, but I'll let you know.

1 comment:
Hello Lois, thanks very much for stopping by at my blog and do feel free to root around previous posts! I'm flattered that anyone reads my ramblings to be honest!
Wow, I've just been reading about your amazing job, I really admire you, truly I do. My two boys are the most precious things in the world and I crack up at the mere mention of other little ones not having the greatest time of their lives. How wonderful that you're there to ensure children in not the most fortunate of circumstances are really loved and well cared for. And you're helping their parents too - really admirable and I'm glad you enjoy such a hard task so much.
Beautiful house and garden btw. Love the bike and I think the black bean looks better - I get it!
Best wishes
Stephx
Post a Comment