I painted it the wall colour I choose just to make it disappear.
Recently I got this little idea to make it look like the beams that I see everyday on the british decor shows. Out came my black paint, and after one swipe of the paintbrush, I couldn't really go back on what I had started.
The result was stunning! So I thought. This place is starting to look like the little English Cottage I wish I had.
However when my family arrived home, one by one, they voiced their disapproval. "Why did you do that Mom", from my teenage daughter, "Mom, I dont like the beam", from my married daugher, (whose decorating advice I usually follow). My husband, "it just doesn't fit hon". What!!! It is perfect. I have to admit their objections made me doubt myself.
Thanks to google again, I brought up as many cottage ceilings as I could and showed them what I was trying to achieve. My daughter came around. My husband admitted it looked the part, but thought there had to be another beam up on the other side of the kitchen to match, so there wont be just one. Well go ahead there hubby, you can put another beam up for me whenever you want!! For now, I will enjoy my one beam.
Photo of kitchen before we bought the house, while visiting the previous owners.

Photo of painted beam.


3 comments:
Black Beam - absolutely smashing, brilliant idea!!
I really like the black beam - it really does set the room off nicely :)
Hi, I can see a little bit of wall in your laundry room. what is the name of that color? Is it a light blue? What is the brand of paint? So many questions :-)
Post a Comment