Friday, November 23, 2007

Change of scenery


I have shown you the beautiful blueberry fields out the back of my property before. Last summer we listened for two months to the cannons booming every few minutes to scare the birds away. I have to admit that some days it was bothersome, but for the most part, if I didnt have a headache already it was something I could drown out. Other people have not been so flexible, and there has been a lot of canvassing for berry farmers to use 'nets' to deter birds instead of cannons.
So being the good neighbour that the farmer who ownes the property behind me is, he is installing nets this fall.

While other neighbours are happy about this I am thinking about what I will see now when I look out my kitchen window. Instead of tidy rows of thriving blueberry plants. I will see a mass of blue netting held up by 5.5 foot high poles.
Dont tell my neighbours but I would have voted for the cannons for two months out of the year to have the field natural looking for the rest of the year.

1 comment:

Rosie said...

I love blueberries, in pies, jam, cheesecake, muffins you name it. It was interesting to see where they are grown. I agree with you I think I would prefer the cannons to seeing them covered with netting. Just as long as the cannons aren't too loud.