Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A little obsession and a little procrastination.

I'm learning to know myself, as I get older.
When I was younger I was hard on myself for certain personality traits I had. Now I am little gentler on myself, as I realize I am who I am and if I am still who I am after 50 years (with improvment of course, but basically the same me) then I had better start accepting and working with what I am.

I have a trait where I get completely obssessed with something, and I research it and learn everything I can about it, to the exclusion of most everything else! For instance there is not too much I dont know about Kangal Dogs. I got a Kangal about 6 years ago and my quest began. They are they national dog of turkey, and I am a fount of knowledge about them.

I have had other interests over the years. El Salvador, learning spanish, but lately, it has been learning about, dreaming about, thinking about, planning about, the UK.
I never know why these fixations develope but I enjoy every minute of it. My husband humors me for which I am so thankful. He doesnt mind the corners in our home devoted to parphanalia from the UK, and always tells me, "I wish I could take you there, you know that right?"
So that is my obsession right now.


These little items are on my compter desk area; a toy double decker bus, a British telephone booth money bank, a London taxi, and a union jack magnet for photos.


This clock that stole my fancy and probably some change that I could have paid part of a bill with just had the right words on it. Kensington London. I spent a minute or two justifying that purchase! I did not need another clock, but somehow it came home with me.

So that is my obsession part of this post, now on to the procrastination.

In years past I have had a reputation of not finishing what I started. To be fair to myself, I do finish things, it is just that I might start something else before the first thing is done. There are usually reasons for that.
I want to finish my slip cover for my wing chair, but the thought of cutting into the fabric is a little scary. I have to work myself up to this project, it is a bit over my skill level, and I have to pace myself. SOOOOO. I now have begun finishing the curtains that hang behind the chair!
When I realized that I had done that, I was able to laugh at myself instead of chastize myself, and know that it will all get done eventually, but if someone is watching it looks a little bleak at the moment.
But the curtains were easier, and have given me confidence to move on to the next thing, so eventually I will tackle finishing the chair. Some of us walk a straight line, others of us take detours.

These drapes have hung unfinished like this for a while now, They are finally getting finished.



Ta Da! This beautiful navy blue velvet welting and russhing on the top of this curtain turned out perfect and gave me a thrill.


Done

On to the next thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Just because you wander doesn't mean you are lost". I love the stool, I am sure the chair will be great.