Saturday, February 9, 2008

Doing things the hard way.

Many posts ago, I posted on my wallpaper project in our very small library/TV room.

I have been purposely silent on my progress. Just when I was almost finished the last wall I saw something that didnt look very good.









I really dont know what was here as far as a doorway before, but the previous owners opened up the space with a wide arch. I can see their reasoning, as the wide opening combines the two small front rooms, and makes the little cottage look much roomier upon entering. it.
However, this wide rather unslightly (in my opinion) arch was cut out of a support wall in the house. There were no required headers placed above the arch. Over the year that we have lived here I have seen a long thin line appearing along the ceiling above the arch. The arch itself also started to show signs of pressure from above.


I give my husband an A++ for his 'tackle any problem attitude' I know that he has consulted with several people regarding how to fix this problem. He has measured, and remeasured, and put his plans on paper etc.



I wasnt prepared for the mountains of dust when the initial hole was cut. It was 4 straight hours of cleaning and dusting by the both of us to get rid of the mess.












Heres a sneak peak at the new pocket doors, and pocket door frame that we are putting into the space.














My favorite part!! Two stunning antique stained glass windows that we found in a auction house that was closing out two weeks ago. They will go above the double pocket doors in a transom.









These pictures are the pieces of a very big puzzle, that I wont show you anymore of until it is done!

Another favorite thing of mine, Tulips before spring.

Hope in a vase.

4 comments:

Rosie said...

What a lot of hard work for you both - look forward to seeing the finished project. Those tulips are so pretty - such a delicate pink.

Rosie said...

Sounds like you are very busy. Looking forward to seeing the finshed results. What a lovely soft shade of pink the tulips are.

Bob said...

Its a good thing you noticed the problem before it all fell down! I just sent you an invite to the 'Hiking Gardeners Secret Garden' Lois, sorry you didn't get one before, I'm not sure what happened there and now I'm wondering who else I missed out! Bob.

Carol said...

Hi Lois, what a clever Hub, they really do come in handy sometimes.
I love your stained glass - superb.
And I am sending you
A Happy Valentines Wish.......
Hugs,
Carol x